Back from My Sleep-Deprived Abyss

Wow, it really has been awhile since I last updated all of you … but not without good reason.

You see, since my last entry here I have spent all of my time either working or sleeping. Well, almost all of my time — the rest has been devoted to baseball. (And, yes, someone turned thirty in there as well, but we’ll go ahead and leave that topic for another day.) My work schedule was changed on April 11 from 5–9 PM (my previous work schedule) to 4:30–8:30 AM, a change which completely screwed up my sleep schedule. Sure, it was nice being done with work at 8:30 everyday, because, theoretically, you have the rest of your day free. Unfortunately, the reality wasn’t so pleasant. Most days I came home from work, read a little, ate lunch, and then passed out from exhaustion. I would typically wake up from my daily unplanned nap late in the afternoon or early in the evening, eat dinner, listen to the Twins game on the radio, and then go right back to bed. My alarm went off at 2:45 AM signaling it was time to do it all over again. Ugh. I’ve long believed that if you have to be woken up by artificial means (i.e., an alarm clock) then you probably didn’t get enough sleep, and the previous two weeks only confirmed my belief.

But now it’s over.

Yesterday was my last day working early in the morning, I am off today and tomorrow, and then I start my new schedule on Wednesday — 3–7 PM. In the end, I think it worked out quite well for me actually, because two important and positive changes came out of this. For one, I was exposed to “how the other half lives” — I got to experience first-hand what the morning crew did and didn’t do, — whereas all I had to go on before were stories from others who had worked on that shift. And for two, my new afternoon shift is actually about a million times better than my old evening shift, as I get started earlier and get done earlier. Getting out of work at seven o’clock means I might actually get to experience a social life again (when I can afford it) for the first time in years. Win!

I slept in today until 9:30, and I’ve done absolutely nothing so far but sit around sipping coffee all day. I have every intention of being more ambitious tomorrow — I have laundry that needs to be done, dishes that need to be cleaned, and an apartment that needs to be picked up, after all — but my plans for the rest of the day today are to do nothing more than continue the recovery process. We’ll get this sleep schedule thing back on track in no time.


About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Kris published on April 26, 2010 1:43 PM.

Who ARE These People? was the previous entry in this blog.

Happy Birthday, is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.